Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 16: See Pop and CPAP

Jackson saw me again today - eyes WIDE open!  Now, I may be kidding myself a bit when I say that he saw me, because really, he can only see about 12 inches in front of him, and everything is mostly shadows.  Both boys do respond to light changes though, because even when their eyes were not yet opened, when we would turn on the light over their isolettes, they would squint their eyes shut.  Either way, in my mind he saw me, or at least was responding to me, because his eyes did not open until I started talking.  Jackson also gained 1.5 oz and is up to 1 lb. 14.5 oz!  The 2 lb. club is not far away - almost like making the honor roll!

I decided to visit the boys twice today, for no other reason than just to see them.  I have been talking to them more, because everything I read and am told is that the best thing that we can do is let them know that we are there.  And, what a great surprise I was greeted with when I got there a litte after noon!  Aiden was extubated and put on the CPAP!  At first I only noticed his hat, but then looked closer and there was the new machine next to his isolette.  So happy!  Being that it was his first time on the CPAP, I knew that going back to the vent was inevitable, because CPAP take some adjusting for those tiny guys.  Aiden made it 4 hrs today on CPAP, and then was intubated again, so he didn't get too tired out from the extra breathing work, and burn too many calories.  They held his feeds through this afternoon because they didn't want to re-introduce that and take him off the vent at the same time.  His feeds continued this evening though, and I'm hoping for a positive report tonight when we call.

As I was leaving from my lunch time visit, the docs and NP came in to say they were going to extubate Jackson!  Awesome!  One goes off, the other goes on!  Jack got on the CPAP after 2pm today and when I visited after 5, he was doing awesome.  I have a couple pictures of him that I will post.  The cool thing is that since he no longer has a tube going between his vocal cords, you can hear him wimper and cry!  It's so awesome.  Yes, Jackson exists :)  First the eyes, now the cries.  Fingers crossed that he does not have to go back to the vent anytime soon.

Aiden will have this rubin levels checked tomorrow, and hopefully he'll be off the lights...finally.  I feel like I am favoring Jackson because I can see his eyes and his response to me speaking to him.  Aiden will also remain on the vent through the weekend, while his feeds continue and he builds up some more strength.  He's still holding tight at 1 lb. 9 oz.

I should also mention that we've been cleared to kangaroo both boys.  Essentially, we get to hold them on our chests for an hour or so at a time!  It's starting to feel real.  To read more about kanagroo care, check this link:  http://www.prematurity.org/baby/kangaroo.html.

Pics to be loaded later.  That's all for today.

Thanks for the support!
Jeff

5 comments:

  1. Great news, Jeff! Thanks for keeping this blog. I like reading about the boys' progress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait- WHEN do you get to Kangaroo them? That will be so great for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad, Jeff, that Joyce gave me your blog site. I am amazed with the wills of your sons! I have been praying and sending much love to you and Christie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great days are ahead!!! So happy you will get to hold them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to finally hold them against yourself! Enjoy the moment!

    ReplyDelete