Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 12: Don't compare

Next update will be Tuesday, 10/19.

They say you should not compare any of your children to each other since each one of them is unique.  This holds especially true when you have twins on an extended stay in the NICU.  This is probably one of the best lessons that the boys are teaching us from their early entrance into the world.  With each new hurdle that they face, one boy is always a step ahead of the other.  Perhaps the earliest reminder of this began with their actual entrace into the world, with Aiden coming out naturally, and Jackson not far behind via cesarean.  Jackson started feeds this past Friday, while his brother continued on the indicin for another two days to close his PDA.  Part of me is ecstatic about Jackson's progress, while another part of me struggles with Aiden being a bit behind.  Thing is, everything changes on a daily basis, and the next hurdle, which I consider to be tolerating the feeds and getting off of the ventilators, Aiden may surpass his brother.  So, I'm learning it is not a matter of what one is doing compared to the other, especially since they are both in the exact same situation, it is taking it day by day and looking at them as individuals and making sure they get to where they need to be.  Because, after all, they will get there, they will choose their own path in doing so.

I am thrilled that Aiden gained 2 ounces and is now up to 1 lb. 12 oz. officially surpassing his birth weight.  That is a 2 ounce gain from yesterday's weight, and hoping that it is not all fluid, since fluids were just re-upped because the indicin was stopped yesterday.  No echo for Mr. Aiden today, as the doc postponed until tomorrow, so that both boys can be rechecked for PDA status.  Doc heard a slight murmur on Aiden via stethescope, but believes it is related to mitro valve prolapse (inherited from mom), and not related to PDA.  Aiden continues to be under the billirubin lights, as he had a 4.1 reading this morning.  Remember, a reading of 1 is considered normal.  Nurse tells me that both boys should be at their peak age now of highest rubin levels.  The blue lights help, but I learned today that bowel movements are the primary way to get rid of the high rubin level.  Since Aiden is eating now, I expect him to be off of the lights very soon.

Jackson gained another ounce and is up to 1 lb. 13 oz!  He has been tolerating his feeds for almost three days with no residue in his GI track, and the nurse reports good movement down there.  They changed his diaper while we were there and the poop looked like 2 poppy seeds - no lie!  Jackson is back under the lights again because his rubin levels were around 4, but again, as long as the pooping continues (and picks up) he should be off of them soon.

A & J's baby shower was today, and man did they get some good stuff!  Thank you to everyone!

A bit of comedy as I sign off tonight.  As we were leaving the hospital tonight I handed Christie the camera to put in her purse.  When we got home, I searched the purse 3 times - ALL pockets, zippers, etc. and no sign of the camera.  Christie looks in the purse and pulls it out immediately.  I swear that thing is like the black hole.

Since I featured Aiden in yesterday's post, today we are featuring Jackson.


Above:  Jackson getting examined. 






Above:  Jackson, long view.


Above:  Aiden under the lights...still :(



Above:  Jackson hanging out under the lights.



Above:  Mom and dad opening gifts at the shower.  Dad is sporting facial hair until the boys are home from the hospital.

2 comments:

  1. This is so funny- on my flight home I was thinking about the shower and suddenly I thought to myself I wonder what the poop looks like- why didn't I ask Christie- because I couldn't imagine it could be more than a mouse's poop with the tiny amount of food they eat... sure enough, you described it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have joined you all.

    ReplyDelete