Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 11: Stability....

....is an important part of the boys' treatment, but also an important part of our mental health.  It's been nearly two weeks now since the boys were born, but it still does not seem real.  They say that you will have good days and bad days - ups and downs, as you head from the bottom left of the line graph to the upper right corner.  Maybe it is just beginning to settle in with me.  Both boys de-sat'ed while we were there today, and obviously nothing to have a panic attack over, since the awesome staff just gave them a quick breath, and they were all set.  But, it was really the first time that I felt scared.  I need to read up on exactly what it means to desaturate yourself of oxygen....if I'm even saying that correctly.  Ok, just googled it and found that the term is hypoxia, and is defined when O2 level falls below 90%.  Happens often to ICU patients.  I have to do some more reading in my premmie book to totally comprehend how it affects them.

Aiden is almost up to 1 lb 10 oz - just 1 oz. shy of his birth weight.  He is getting his last dose of indicin tonight, followed by an echo tomorrow to see if that valve (see Thursday's update on PDAs) has fully closed.  I don't know if we could possibly put more holy water or pictures of saints in their isolettes, but all I want for Christmas this year is for the damn thing to close (and stay closed) already so that he can start feeds!  If all goes well on the echo, he will start (trophic) feeds Monday.  Jackson is on day 2 of trophic feeds and has not had any residual food left in his stomach, which is great news.  Praying that the colostrum continues to prime his gut until next Friday, without any trouble or complications.  Jack is up to 1 lb. 12 oz., 2 oz. past his original birth weight! 

We got to bring home some of their hospital items that they have either already grown out of (believe it or not), or they no longer need - e.g. blood pressure cuff, and Jackson's eye mask to protect him the billi lights, since he is done (hopefully for good) with them.  Aiden is still under the lights and will have his rubin levels checked again tomorrow to see where they stand.

I forgot to provide an update on the boys' 10-day head ultrasounds that were performed yesterday.  Jackson was clear on day 3, and remains clear day 10!  Aiden had the start of a level 2 IVH (brain bleed) which has not progressed - more good news!!  Aiden's bleed shoud be reabsorbed without any long term effects, but reabsorption will not begin for several weeks.  They will have a 30-day scan to re-check things.  IVHs aka brain bleeds are graded on scale of 1-4.  1 is low and 4 is high.  To learn more about them, this link has some good info:  http://www.babylinq.com/intraventricularhemorrhageivhprematurebabypreemie.aspx

Today's pictures - all of Aiden.  I am an awful father for not getting any of Jack.  He was way too peaceful under the isolette cover so I didn't want to disturb him too much.  We'll feature him next week.


Above: Aiden working on his tan


Above:  Mom holding Aiden




Above:  Aiden holding mom's hand.


Above:  Aiden giving thumbs up today!



Above:  Aiden just hanging out -his favorite pastime!



Thanks for visting us!  Feel free to leave a comment or two as you wish.

'Til tomorrow - Jeff

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff, Things seem to be going well for the boys. It is very scary to watch them desaturate. You feel so helpless and just stare at the monitor waiting for those numbers to go up. But a puff and he's back is awesome! When I read they were on the lowest vent settings I was blown away.
    Gracie was on full vent for two months and then was on CPAP. That is great news for them.

    And the feed news is good too. I remember Gracie hitting the 10 cc mark. Whew hew!

    I remember waiting for those ultrasound results to come back. Just try to take care of yourselves through all of this. Isn't is strange how your whole life completely turns around and it seems normal to be going back and forth to the hospital?
    Trust your nurses. They take care of you as much as the babies. Gracie had three primaries and we have kept in touch. They become family.

    Who is the boys neonatologist? Gracie started out with Dr. Dukarm at Childrens. He was awesome. I love that man! I know he transferred to Sisters about 10 years ago.

    Despite their obvious preemie issues, it really sounds like things are going as well as they can. You will just have up and down days. They are obviously very strong and stubborn which is great! They need that drive! The doctors told me that right away.

    I laughed when I read one of the boys was kicking off his blanket. Gracie desaturated whenever she was on her back. She was fine as soon as they turned her over. She just kept doing it and it drove me nuts!

    Gracie had PDA as well. It took her three rounds but it closed and stayed that way. Anything with heart valves and potential surgery is scary enough.

    Have you been able to kangaroo them at all? I had to wait two months to hold my little peanut pie. But it was absolutely one of the best moments in my life when I could finally hold her.

    What always amazed me about life in the ICN at Childrens was, that no matter what was going on in the outside world seemed small in comparison to these babies fighting with all their might. Very humbling.

    Please give Christie my best. You both can call me anytime if you need some support, to vent or just talk preemie stuff. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. God bless,
    Beth
    289-4106

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy to see that things are going so well for your boys. They are so tough already! Before you know it, you will be on your sofa and your boys will be asleep in their swings and you'll forget about all the hard days...and, to them, they never happened at all. Be well. Get some sleep!
    Eric, Genevieve, Brielle, Vivienne & Giavanna Fuller

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing to see how much they have grown from day 1 to 11. I am amazed at how small they are. I hope they get to come home for Christmas. You, Christine, Aiden and Jackson are in my thoughts and prayers. Laura

    ReplyDelete